The Botanical Garden in Cluj-Napoca is a 14 hectares paradise, close to the centre of the old city. Here you can see 10000 species of plants and trees specific to the region, but also tropical plants.
“Alexandru Borza” Botanical Garden in Cluj-Napoca is a 14 hectares paradise, close to the centre of the old city, as well as an ideal place for walking and recreation. Here you can see over 10,000 species of plants and trees specific to the region, but also palm trees and other tropical plants. Due to the large number of species of plants that it exhibits, the Botanical Garden in Cuj-Napoca is considered to be one of the most prestigious in the world.
In the 19th century were made the first steps for building a botanical garden in Cluj-Napoca, on a surface of 3 hectares. At the outbreak of World War I, the garden was used for cultivating vegetables and fruits. The actual garden was founded in 1920, responsible being Professor Alexandru Borza, who also elaborated the garden’s plans. In the 1920s, the institution passed through a process of development and improvement, and in 1925 it was inaugurated in front of representatives from local and national newspapers. The greenhouses were built in the second half of the 20th century, period in which the garden’s alleys were asphalted, the lake in the Japanese garden was consolidated and the fencing was readjusted.
Nowadays, the garden is divided in several sections: ornamental, phytogeographic, systematic, economic and medicinal, the first three ones being the most attractive for the tourists.
The ornamental sector hosts, depending on the season, a variety of species of flowers, from tulips to hyacinths, irises, lilies or roses, enchanting the visitors with a wonderful display of colours.
In the phytogeographic compartment, the Orient is represented by the Japanese garden, arranged in the “gyo-no-niwa” traditional style. It includes specific architectural and landscape elements, such as an artificial lake, the island garnished with different plants, a bridge ornamented in Japanese traditional style, a “mon” (sacred gate) and four stone lanterns located around the lake. A special attraction is also the Roman garden, also known as the Garden of Plinius, dominated by the statue of Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture and fertility, which is guarded by two authentic tombs discovered in the ancient city of Napoca, now Cluj-Napoca.
The systematic section is one of the garden’s most important sectors, as it covers a surface of 4 hectares. It also benefits from two greenhouses in which are cultivated plants from the ecuatorial, tropical and subtropical areas. The greenhouses are split into six compartments: aquatic plants, palm trees, vegetation from the Mediteranean area and Australia, succulent plants (cactus), bromeliaceae (such as the pineapple) and ferns and orchids.
Inside the garden, visitors have the chance to enjoy two other interesting areas: the Herbarium and the Botanical Museum.
Daily: 8:00 – 19:00
Greenhouses: 9:00 – 17:00
Adults: 5 lei
Pupils, students: 2.5 lei
By car: From Avram Iancu Square, situated in Cluj-Napoca city centre, head towards Baba Novac Square. Take Calea Turzii and at the roundabout take the first exit on Observatorului St. Turn right on Republicii St. and then left on Alexandru Borza St. Approximate travel time is 8 minutes.
By bus: Take bus #22 and get off at the Boli Infecțioase station.