Natural History Museum in Sibiu
The Natural History Museum in Sibiu is one of the most important museums of its kind in Romania. It exhibits the richest and the most diverse collections in Romania, displaying more than 1 million objects from various fields, such as botany, zoology and palaeontology.
Grigore Antipa Natural History Museum
Grigore Antipa Natural History Museum is one of the most appreciated museums in Bucharest. It has vast zoological, paleontological and ethnographic collections which count up to 2 million items, including 80,000 butterflies and moths, and a stuffed animals section. However, the main attraction still remains the 4.5m high dinosaur skeleton.
Banat Village Museum
In 1928, the man of culture Ioachim Miloia opened a small village museum in the courtyard of the Huniade Castle in Timişoara. Forty years later, the museum received the land on which the open air ethnography museum, then a section of the Museum of the Banat, was inaugurated in 1971.
Dominating the Victory Square in Bucharest, Victoria Palace is the headquarters of the Romanian Government. Built between 1937 and 1944 over the former palace of Grigore Sturdza, it was part of an ensemble of buildings with official function, which triggered the simplified neoclassical architectural style.
Graft Bastion in Brașov
Graft Bastion in Brașov is a building which was part of the city’s medieval fortifications. Erected in 1521 over Graft Canal for defence and communication purposes, it was built in the middle of the north-western side of the citadel, close to the White Tower and the Black Tower. It was meant to house army and canons able to fire west, towards the Blacksmiths’ Bastions, and north, towards another bastion which no longer exists nowadays.
Museum of the Romanian Peasant
Considered to be Bucharest’s finest museum, the Museum of the Romanian Peasant displays a wonderful collection of traditional peasant artefacts from all over Romania. It includes textiles, carvings, ceramics, peasant costumes, icons and artwork, as well as partially restored houses and churches.
The Museum of the Banat
The Museum of the Banat is housed by the Huniade Castle, the oldest building inTimişoara, a 14th century Neo – Gothic castle. Here you can visit an enormous display of exhibits from the museum’s four sections: history, natural sciences, archaeology and the laboratory for restoration and conservation.
The Pharmacy Museum in Cluj-Napoca
The Pharmacy Museum in Cluj-Napoca is a unique venue in Romania, as important pharmaceutical collections are housed inside the building of the city’s first pharmacy. A place with a special charm and a history of its own, the museum attracts many visitors who want to see this place with a longstanding tradition.
The Planetarium in Constanţa
The Planetarium in Constanţa, part of the Natural Sciences Museum Complex, is situated on the south-eastern shore of Lake Tăbăcăriei, near Mamaia resort. Built in 1969, it includes an astronomic observatory and a solar observation station. In the Planetarium’s dome you can watch projections of stars, planets, constellations or satellites.
The Art Museum in Timișoara
The Art Museum in Timișoara is one of the most prestigious cultural institutions in the western part of the country. It was founded at the end of the 19th century as a section of the Museum of the Banat and developed due to the important donations of one of the founders of the museum, Ormòs Zsigmond.
The Palace of Culture in Iaşi
The Palace of Culture is a symbol of Iaşi. It was built in Neo-Gothic style between 1906 and 1925, partly on the ruins of the old medieval princely court from the 15th century and partly on the foundation of another Neo-Classical princely palace built at the beginning of the 19th century and demolished in 1904, after a series of fires affected its structure.
Suceava Princely Citadel
The 14th century Princely Citadel is Suceava’s most impressive monument and one of the most important medieval citadels in the country. In the 14th century, Suceava became capital of Moldavia and, during the reigns of Stephen the Great, Petru Rareș or Vasile Lupu, it faced a period of military glory. The Princely Citadel was built on a hill overlooking the city by Petru I Mușat in 1374.
The Archaeological Park in Constanța
The Archaeological Park in Constanța exhibits the remains of the city of Tomis, which was founded here during the Roman – Byzantine period. The outdoor ruins are situated and can be visited in the central area of the city, next to important touristic, such as the Casino and the Aquarium.
Brukenthal National Museum
Brukenthal National Museum, the first public museum in south-eastern Europe, is a prestigious European institution and one of the most important in the country. It has its main headquarters in the Brukenthal Palace, built by Baron Samuel von Brukenthal between 1778 and 1788.
The Merry Cemetery of Săpânţa
The Merry Cemetery of Săpânţa is a rather unusual attraction. It is a church graveyard exuberantly coloured, famous for the painted wooden crosses engraved with witty epitaphs for the deceased. The satirical poems are written in vibrant colours (yellow, red, white and green) on an already famous blue background, called “Săpânța blue”.
Râşnov Citadel is a 13th century fort built as a means of protection against the Tatars and the Turks. It is one of the best preserved citadels in Transylvania, allegedly built by the Teutonic Knights. However, it is most likely to have been built by the dwellers of Râşnov and the surrounding villages in order to protect them against enemy invasions.
ASTRA Museum of Traditional Folk Civilization
ASTRA Museum of Traditional Folk Civilization, situated 7km from Sibiu, in Dumbrava Sibiului Park, is the largest and most beautiful open air exhibition space in Romania. In August 1905, the Transylvanian Association for Romanian Literature and Culture of the Romanian People inaugurated its most important institution, the ASTRA Museum.
The Art Museum in Cluj-Napoca
If you want to get a glimpse of the Romanian art, especially in the region of Transylvania, the Art Museum in Cluj-Napoca is one of the best places to admire valuable collections. Housed in the imposing Bánffy Palace, situated in the Union Square, the museum preserves an exceptional selection of paintings and sculptures from important Romanian artists.
The Casino is the most emblematic edifice in Constanţa, situated on the romantic promenade which runs along the waterfront. The Casino is the most emblematic edifice in Constanţa, situated on the romantic promenade which runs along the waterfront. Built in 1910, it is considered to be the pearl of the city’s architecture.
The Romanian National Art Museum
The Romanian National Art Museum, former Royal Palace, is a sumptuous neoclassical edifice, housing one of the most valuable art collections in Romania. It has different galleries (Old Romanian Art, Modern Romanian Art, European Art), all including thousands of priceless works by Romanian or international artists such as El Greco, Rembrandt, Rubens, Nicolae Grigorescu or Constantin Brâncuși.
The Archaeological and National History Museum
The Archaeological and National History Museum presents Dobrogea’s history from Palaeolithic until today. It was inaugurated in 1977 in the former building of Constanţa City Hall. The museum has an excellent collection of statues of deities, but it also attracts through the exhibited archaeological artefacts: coins, jewels or mammoth tusks.
The National History Museum
The National History Museum is one of the most representative museums in Romania. Built in neoclassical style, with a monumental portico resting on ten Doric columns, it is an architectural jewel. Situated in the Post Palace, it is perhaps the richest museum in the country in what regards its patrimony.
The Princely Court in Târgovişte
The Princely Court in Târgovişte is a museum complex of medieval buildings and fortifications, which served as a residence of the Wallachian rulers for more than three centuries. It is one of the most important architectonic ensembles in Romania, appreciated for its high artistic and historical value.
Urban Civilisation Museum
Brașov’s Urban Civilisation Museum is a section of the Ethnography Museum, officially opened in 2010. The museum illustrates the way of life of Brașov’s dwellers across three centuries, the cultural interferences between Orient and Occident, as well as Saxon traditions and customs.
The Village Museum
The Village Museum, situated on the banks of Herăstrău Lake, exemplifies the diversity of Romania’s architecture and folk art. Officially named “Dimitrie Gusti” National Village Museum, the institution exhibits 338 traditional buildings from all parts of Romania, comprising the most valuable traditional architecture elements from all the regions in Romania.
The Bridge of Lies
Built in 1859, the Bridge of Lies is the first wrought iron bridge in Romania and the second in Europe. It separates the Small Square into two parts and allows access between the Lower and Upper Town. The Bridge of Lies is a symbol of Sibiu and the main attraction of the Small Square, mainly for romantics and lovers.
The Clock Tower
The Clock Tower, built in 1280, is one of the symbols of Sighişoara. The 64m high tower guards the main entrance in the citadel and houses a magnificently designed clock. It is the only tower which did not belong to the craft guilds and hosted, in the course of time, the town council, the courthouse, and later the prison and an arms dump.
The Council Tower
The Council Tower is one of the most important monuments in Sibiu, once the gateway to the city. Built between 1224 and 1241, it was initially used as the entrance gate in the second fortified enclosure of the town. In its immediate vicinity, there was the building housing the Town Hall, first mentioned in 1324.
The first Romanian school
The first Romanian school, built at the end of the 15th century in the courtyard of St. Nicholas Church, is now a museum bearing the same name. This institution of culture and education has a patrimony of over 4,000 old books and 30,000 documents, as well as numerous museum items which give the visitors the possibility to find out more information about Brașov’s development throughout the years.
The History Museum
The History Museum is a section of the Brukenthal Museum Complex in Sibiu, being hosted in the Altemberger House. Designed and built by Thomas Altemberger, mayor of Sibiu, the building was bought in 1545 by the Magistrate of Sibiu. Considered to be one of the most important Gothic civil buildings in Romania, it served as a City Hall for 400 years, from 1549 to 1948.