The first Romanian school, built at the end of the 15th century in the courtyard of St. Nicholas Church, is now a museum bearing the same name. This institution of culture and education has a patrimony of over 4,000 old books and 30,000 documents, as well as numerous museum items which give the visitors the possibility to find out more information about Brașov’s development throughout the years.
The museum’s edifice still maintains the Baroque-style elements which it was added in the 1760s. Even if the school’s construction date is thought to be the year 1495, several documents from earlier periods confirm the existence of such an institution in the area starting with the 11th or 12th centuries. The school contributed to the education and formation of copyists, translators and transcribers. Along the years, the school became an important educational centre, knowing a significant development in the period when the deacon Coresi edited and printed here important books for the Romanian culture, such as the first Romanian Grammar.
The museum is composed of five rooms: “Anton Pann” classroom, “Diaconul Coresi” room, “The Book, the national unity factor” room, “Brașov’s books and scholars” room and the room with fireplace.
The first classroom bears the name of the Romanian storyteller Anton Pann, whose works are displayed in the museum. The second room honours the deacon Coresi, who contributed to the development of the Romanian literature and religion in the people’s language. In the 1550s, he printed hundreds of books that circulated around all the regions inhabited by Romanians. “The Book, the national unity factor” room described the ways in which the books printed in Romanian by the deacon Coresi made an important contribution to the cultural union between people from all parts of the country. Here are exhibited some of the most important and valuable books written in the medieval Romanian language, such as “Biblia de la București” (1688) and “Cazania lui Varlaam” (1643). The scholars from Brașov, be them copyists, translators, writers or even musicians, have created a valuable work which is now housed and exhibited in the museum’s “Brașov’s books and scholars” room. The room with fireplace takes the visitors into the past by recreating an ethnographic corner dominated by the fireplace and the beautiful icons painted by local artists.
Union Square, no 2 – 3, Brașov
Tel.: +40 268 511 411, +40 722 435 134
How to get there:
The “First Romanian School” Museum is situated within 10min walking distance from Brașov city centre.
By car: From the Council Square in Brașov city centre , take G. Barițiu St and then continue on C.
Brâncoveanu St. Approximate travel time is 2 minutes.
The first Romanian school Website