Entering the Council House in the centre of Brașov, we find the County History Museum, one of the most important places to gather information on the evolution of the Romanian society in the area, as well as on prehistoric and Dacian-Roman archaeology and history.
The main collections of Brașov County History Museum came from the Saxon Museum of Bârsa Country, founded in 1908, and the Museum of ASTRA Association, inaugurated in 1937. Both of them boasted rich history and archaeology collections and items, such as ceramics, tools from the Iron Age, discoveries from the Roman castra, weapons, furniture, items belonging to the craft guilds, pharmacy items, documents, coins, decorative art and many others. These collections, as well as others which enlarged the museum’s heritage since then, are valuable proofs of the beginning of life in the surrounding areas, the persistence of the Geto-Dacian population, the local history during the period of the great migrations and the permanent relationships between rulers of Wallachia and Moldavia and those from this area. Visitors interested in the history of the region will take a journey through the culture, customs and occupations of the Romanian populations in Brașov starting with the 3rd century AD, will understand the important role of the city in the medieval period and its later industrial development.
Among the museum’s most important exhibits are a 16th century map of Dacia, “Biblia Sacro”, a Bible from 1562, edited in Basel and “La grande Encyclopedie”, edited in Paris. The collection of over 23.000 old books, religious books, geographical and astrological atlases, maps and newspapers is kept in the museum’s library.
Brașov County History Museum also includes in its patrimony the White Tower, the Black Tower, Weavers’ Bastion and Graft Bastion.
Summer schedule: 10:00 – 18:00
Winter schedule: 9:00 – 17:00
How to get there:
Brașov County History Museum is located in the Council Square, right in the centre of the city.
Council Square, no 30
+40 268 472 363
+40 268 472 357
Fax: +40 268 472 350