Putna Monastery is an old centre of the arts and learning, one of the most important nuclei of Romanian monasticism. In its symbolism and significance, it is a major centre of eastern Orthodoxy. Founded in 1466-1469 by Stephen the Great as his necropolis, the church has suffered, over the years, radical transformations that changed its initial aspect.
Affected by a fire in 1484, Stephen the Great ordered to be restored and painted on the inside. During Vasile Lupu’s reign starts the integral reconstruction of the church, which lasts until 1662. Between 1756 and 1760 take place important restoration works, such as the demolition of the old buildings, extending the enclosure’s northern area, building cells, a new chapel and the walls, modifying the roof’s shape and replacing the roof with a tile one. Of the monastic complex built during the time of Stephen the Great, only the treasury tower, erected in 1481, survives.
The monastery museum has an impressive collection of liturgical embroidery, famous throughout the world. The collection also includes epitaphs, manuscript miniatures, metal book-bindings and ecclesiastical jewels, many donated by the great ruler.
Another tourist attraction situated around 1.5km from the monastery is the cell of Daniil the Hermit, Stephen the Great’s trustiest adviser. In this austere rock cell he dwelled in solitude until the building of the monastery, after which he moved to Voroneț, where he is buried.
How to get there:
Putna Monastery is situated 67km north-west of Suceava. Take DN2/E85 road to Slobozia Sucevei and then DN2H to Putna, passing through Rădăuți.
tel.: +40 230 414 055
fax: +40 230 414 119
Putna Monastery Website