Dragomirna Monastery is the most imposing fortified monastery of Moldavia and one of the most important accomplishments of Moldavian architecture. The Dragomirna complex was founded in 1609 and includes the church, cemetery chapel, cells, abbot’s house and other buildings now housing a museum. The massive outer walls and four defensive towers, built in 1627, give the monastery the aspect of a redoubtable fortress.
Renowned for the originality of the architectural style, the elegance and sobriety of the church, Dragomirna Monastery has been, for centuries, a place of convergence for the Christian spirituality and the Romania culture. The elongated, narrow church, accentuated by its 42m high spire, amazes through the Wallachian – influenced rich sculpted decoration and geometric stone carvings. The interior murals were painted in the traditional style of the 16th century. Especially worthy of note are the scenes depicting the Passion: Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, the Arrest of Christ and the Descent from the Cross.
The monastery includes a museum of religious artifacts displaying icons, crosses, embroideries, silverware, printings and manuscripts. Among the most valuable objects we can name the “Evangheliarul cu ferecătură” (1557), a cross made in ebony wood (1542), several manuscripts with miniatures and embroideries with gold thread painted by the monastery’s school of calligraphers and a chandelier from the empress Catherine II of Russia.
How to get there:
Dragomirna Monastery is situated 15km north of Suceava. It is easily accessible by taking DJ208D and DJ208U roads.
Tel: +40 230 533 839