The Baroque Palace is the oldest building in the Union Square in Timișoara, already existent in 1734, when it was documented to have housed the former Mining Office. The right wing of the actual palace was built 18 years later in order to host the Chancellery of the Banat Country’s Administration and the residence of the country’s president. In 1786, after important works of extension, the palace’s Baroque elements and Viennese architectural motifs are removed and it is brought to its current shape and dimension, even though the attic was not added until a century later. After 1944, the edifice was transformed from the headquarters of various regional administrative institutions to command office of the Soviet troops stationed in the city.
Nowadays, the Baroque Palace represents one of the most valuable historical monuments in Timișoara and houses the city’s Art Museum.
How to get there:
The Baroque Palace is situated in the Union Square in Timișoara, within 30 minutes walking distance from the North Railway Station. From here, take Republicii Blvd to the Romanian National Opera in the Victory Square, continue on Alba Iulia Street until you reach Liberty Square and then take V. Alecsandri Street to the Union Square.
Tel: +40 256 491 592
Fax: +40 256 491 592