Dominating the Victory Square in Bucharest, Victoria Palace is the headquarters of the Romanian Government. Built between 1937 and 1944 over the former palace of Grigore Sturdza, it was part of an ensemble of buildings with official function, which triggered the simplified neoclassical architectural style.
The architect in charge of Victoria Palace was Duiliu Marcu, who also worked at the renovation of Athénée Palace Hilton Hotel and at the façade of the Opera in Timişoara. Although it was finished in 1944, the damages caused by that year’s bombings need further works, which ended in 1952. Initially, the palace’s facades were made of Carrara marble and presented sculpted decorative panels, but these were removed after the bombings and replaced with more solid materials.
During the communist regime, the palace served as the headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and of the Council of Ministers. In 1990, it became the headquarters of the first government of post-communist Romania.
How to get to:
Victoria Palace is situated in the Victory Square.
By bus: Take one of these buses to reach Victory Square: #122, #205, #300, #381, #N118, #N119, #783.
By metro: Take the yellow line M1 or the blue line M2 to Victory Square.