The 15th century Tailors’ Bastion is one of the few fortified towers in Cluj-Napoca preserved intact until today. Part of the city’s old citadel, the bastion was built and defended by the guild of the tailors. Later on, it was the German mercenaries employed by the city who continued to defend the bastion, as it guarded the southern entrances into the medieval citadel.

Along the years, the bastion was destroyed and rebuilt several times. It witnessed a revolt of the mercenaries, it suffered numerous attacks of the Hungarian and Turkish troops in the 17th century and it was even affected by a lightning that stroke the ammunition store room. Its current shape dates from the 18th century, more precise from 1718, when the Austrian general Kriegsbaum ordered the reconstruction of the bastion. During the communist regime in Romania, Tailors’ Bastion housed the city’s History Museum, which also included a restoration studio and a photography laboratory. None of these had ever been opened to public.

Recently restored, the bastion accommodates the centre for urban culture, which includes a literary cafe, a conference hall and exhibition spaces.